We are not closing HCA at this time. The reasons we would close the school are:
- If a student or staff member (or close family member) has a probable case of the coronavirus.
- If the School District closes the public schools, in which case we would lose school bus service.
- If the Department of Health recommends or orders schools in Philadelphia to be closed.
We have no known or probable cases of coronavirus illness in our school community. We have not been asked to close by the City or the State. As we have seen with Montgomery County, the State is constantly evaluating the situation and will decide if it is necessary to close schools.
Here’s what we are doing to be prepared and proactive:
- Preparing. In case we do have to close, Elementary School teachers are sending packets of work home with students. Middle School students should be working on their Project Fair projects – outline, rough and final drafts, presentation board. Teachers will be available through Jupiter messages to answer any questions students or parents might have about assignments or work that can be done. You should be making plans for your children’s care in case we have to close.
- Social Distancing. We are minimizing the number of outside interactions for our students. We have cancelled Open Houses and are postponing indefinitely next week’s Zoo trip for K-2. We recommend that you also reduce the number of people you are around, by postponing birthday parties, family gatherings, and social activities and outings. Don’t go to the gym, the mall, or the movies. We can’t stop the spread of a virus, but we can slow it down so the healthcare system can be able to keep up.
- Cleaning and Disinfecting. Each classroom teacher has been disinfecting the surfaces in their classroom multiple times daily. Our custodial staff has made extra efforts to keep other surfaces regularly cleaned.
IF YOUR CHILD IS SICK FOR ANY REASON, PLEASE KEEP THEM AT HOME UNTIL THEY ARE WELL. If your child has a fever, they must be fever-free for more than 24 hours before returning. This means if your child has a fever that stops on Monday, the soonest they should return to school is Wednesday.
IF ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY RETURNS from a country with a CDC level 3 travel advisory (China, Iran, South Korea, Japan, most of Europe), we ask that your entire household self-quarantine upon return for a minimum of 14 days. Please contact us to let us know the situation so we can plan for a student’s extended absence.
PLEASE KEEP US INFORMED of any illnesses or other important information about your family.